Air Carrier Access ActThe Air Carrier Access Act is a law which prevents commercial airlines from discriminating against disabled individuals. This is the law which governs Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals during air travel.
BAHBasic Assistance Harness. Used for mobility work such as counter-balance and forward momentum. Features flexible and/or semi-rigid handles. Made by Bold Lead Designs.
BLDBold Lead Designs. A Colorado based company that produces service dog equipment, including mobility harnesses.
CGCCanine Good Citizen. An AKC test often used to assess a dog's ability to have very basic manners.
DisabledThe term “disability” means, with respect to an individual:
- a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual;
- a record of such an impairment; or
- being regarded as having such an impairment.
DOJDepartment of Justice.
Emotional Support AnimalAn animal that provides comfort to an individual with a psychiatric disability. Emotional Support Animals do not have public access rights but are allowed in housing and on airplanes. ESAs do not need to have any special training.
ESAEmotional Support Animal
GDBGuide Dogs for the Blind. A well-known professional organization that trains Guide Dogs.
HandlerWhen referring to a Service Dog: The disabled individual that the Service Dog is assisting. In some situations the handler may be the Service Dog's trainer or the parent of a young disabled child.
Major Life Activity
- In General: major life activities include, but are not limited to, caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, and working.
- Major Bodily Functions: a major life activity also includes the operation of a major bodily function, including but not limited to, functions of the immune system, normal cell growth, digestive, bowel, bladder, neurological, brain, respiratory, circulatory, endocrine, and reproductive functions.
MarkerDog Training: A Marker is a word or sound that communicates to the dog that he is doing something correctly (or not correctly). Common markers are pressing a clicker, or saying "Yes!".
MSHMobility Support Harness. A mobility harness designed for heavy mobility work including bracing. This harness features a rigid metal handle used to brace on while stationary. Made by Bold Lead Designs.
PATPublic Access Test. An optional test that can be used to assess a Service Dog's readiness to be well mannered in public places.
PSDPsychiatric Service Dog. Not to be confused with an Emotional Support Animal.
Psychiatric Service DogA Service Dog for individuals with psychiatric disabilities. Psychiatric Service Dogs are different from Emotional Support Animals in that they are specifically trained to perform tasks that mitigate their handlers psychiatric disabilities.
PWDPerson With Disabilities.
Regarded As Having Such An Impairment
- An individual meets the requirement of “being regarded as having such an impairment” if the individual establishes that he or she has been subjected to an action prohibited under this chapter because of an actual or perceived physical or mental impairment whether or not the impairment limits or is perceived to limit a major life activity.
- This shall not apply to impairments that are transitory and minor. A transitory impairment is an impairment with an actual or expected duration of 6 months or less.
SDiTService Dog in Training
Service DogA dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability.
ShapingDog Training: Breaking a desired behavior into tiny increments and rewarding the dog for reaching each successive increment until the end behavior is accomplished.
Therapy DogA dog that visits hospitals and nursing homes to provide comfort to patients. These dogs are usually trained and certified through an organization. Therapy dogs do not have public access rights and are not allowed in no-pet housing or on airplanes.